Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
In re-ordering and combining lists, I created a .xls spreadsheet that automatically adds all required markup to make this list. Adding to the spreadsheet is MUCH easier than editing the wiki table. Please add any missing information on this talk page and I will update .xls sheet. I also plan to make .xls publicly available once i work out bugs.
- I think having the achievement field is too much info. They're already listed on the individual monster pages, as well as the achievement pages. And some of them, such as Diablo, have quite a bit of achievements associated with them. How will we determine the cut-off to prevent excessive bloating?
- Also, I intentionally left individual Act sections because it made it much less of a pain to browse through. And now I also don't know what's happened with the monster names that were listed under "Unknown". There was a good few of them there and I can't remember all of them, so now I need to look under View History to find out what you did with them.
- I would've appreciated a heads-up from you first before you majorly started tinkering around with it, as I was the one who originally compiled the table. Sojourna 18:04, 23 September 2012 (UTC)
- personally, I believe the sortable all-in-one list was a better layout. granted the "achievement" section can get very bloated, I think the general layout is far superior, giving the viewer more options on how to view the list, by act, alphabetically, or by location. I had also combined the "unknown location" list (which i also tracked down many of those locations using other wiki sites, posted images, etc) into the combined list. I suggest we re-instate that style list, minus the achievement column, to maximize the usability of this list. I meant no offence in enacting that edit - in fact I strongly utilized your list in creating the combined list. Penjrav8r 16:35, 25 October 2012 (UTC)
- The problem with having an "all-in-one" type of list is that it's a lot to scroll through. A continuously-flowing list has its uses for technical purposes (such as easier maintenance), but the audience we're targeting will want to quickly view the page for what they're looking for. The end user can still sort by name and location within the separate acts, and use the ToC to immediately jump to an Act.
- I'll agree that the page needs polishing, but not in the style you are looking at. The Development Hell section could probably go, as it's almost entirely made up of "honorary" uniques, and put Jay Wilson under the Act I section. The notes under the Miscellaneous column that simply state "quest" can be changed to the name of the Act quest a monster spawns during. And there is still plenty of monsters whose individual pages need creating (all their data pages exist already). Sojourna 17:32, 25 October 2012 (UTC)
- i disagree with your assessment of our target audience for a few reasons: first of all, it is just as easy to scroll through a list to find the appropriate act as to scroll through a page to find the appropriate list. Second, if you are looking for a particular monster (for an achievement, for farming, or whatever your purpose may be) the list can be sorted alphabetically. (the reasons this is particularly important on this wiki is because the search engine is not that great and spelling of some monster names can be complicated) I believe a single, sortable list will provide assistance for all viewers of this wiki. Penjrav8r 15:25, 28 October 2012 (UTC)