Ancients (Diablo II)
The Ancients are the spirits of three different Barbarians who were chosen to guard the summit of Mt. Arreat, near the entrance to the Chamber of the Worldstone. When you first meet them, they appear to be crumbling statues, but after you consult the Altar of the Heavens, they come alive and you must defeat them. Once defeated, they will turn into golden statues and grant you passage to the Worldstone Chamber. The ancients are Talic the Defender, Madawc the Guardian, and Korlic the Protector.
Etymology[edit | edit source]
Fans of the games refer to these monsters as the Ancients, however the Book of Cain clarifies that the term Ancient is used to describe the first-generation nephalem,, which Talic, Korlic and Madawc are not.
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Rite of Passage[edit | edit source]
- "We are the spirits of the Nephalem, the Ancient Ones. We have been chosen to guard sacred Mt. Arreat, wherein the Worldstone rests. Few are worthy to stand in its presence; fewer still can comprehend its true purpose. Before you enter, you must defeat us."
Eve of Destruction[edit | edit source]
- "You are a worthy hero! We augment your skill and grant you entry to the interior of Mount Arreat, wherein lies the Worldstone. Beware. You will not be alone. Baal the Lord of Destruction is already inside. The Archangel Tyrael has always been our benefactor, but even he cannot help us now. For Baal blocks Tyrael's spiritual presence from entering the chamber of the Worldstone. Only you, mortal, have the power to defeat Baal now. Baal threatens the Worldstone -- and through it, the mortal realm, itself. You must stop him before he gains full control of the sacred stone. With it under his control, Baal could shatter the boundaries between this world and the Burning Hells, thus allowing the hordes of the Prime Evils to pour forth into the mortal realm like an unstoppable tide! If you are weak, the world as you know it could be lost forever. You must NOT fail!"
Trivia[edit | edit source]
The Ancients have been voiced by:
- Ed Totta who also provided the voices for Tyrael and Izual
- Jon Stark who also provided the voice for Qual-Kehk
- Lani Minella who also provided the voices for Blood Raven, The Countess, Andariel and Malah.
References[edit | edit source]
- Cain, Deckard., Book of Cain, page 63.