Secret Cow Level (Diablo II)
The Secret Cow Level can be found in Diablo II (with or without the expansion). To create a portal to the secret level, combine Wirt's Leg and a Tome of Town Portal in the Horadric Cube while standing in the Rogue Encampment. A red portal will appear if the player has also killed the final boss on that difficulty. If playing classic, that means killing Diablo, but if the expansion is installed, the player will have to kill Baal before the portal can be opened.
The Secret Cow Level is a small area, full of Hell Bovines, bipedal cattle with polearms. A rather special cow, named The Cow King, always appears in the level. If someone kills the Cow King for the first time on the current difficulty, all players within the Cow Level will forever be unable to create another portal to the Secret Cow Level on the same difficulty again. They will still be able to enter the portal if another player creates it.
The cow level was the most popular place to level up in Patch 1.09, due to the huge numbers of cows and the fact that their slow speed, low resistances, and clumping behavior made them very easy to kill in bunches. The experience and item gains possible in the level were nerfed in Patch 1.10, and the level returned to its intended purpose as a novelty and a treat and not a place to endlessly exploit for massive experience gain.
The Cow King
This section contains facts and trivia relevant to this article
- Blizzard constantly states that, "there is no Cow Level".
- One item set, the Cow King's Leathers, can only be found in the Secret Cow Level.
- There were many rumors that there was a Secret Cow Level in the original Diablo I. These rumors were false and it is believed that the reason the Secret Cow Level was made was to appeal to fans.
- A free web enhancement called To Hell and Back, available at the Wizards of the Coast site, contains the Secret Cow Level with statistics for the enemy cows.
- One of the cheat codes on StarCraft, "There Is No Cow Level", was made to confirm there was no cow level made. Later on it was still added.
- There is a leather chest armor item in World of Warcraft called Cow King's Hide, an obvious reference to the secret level.
- In Warcraft III: Frozen Throne, chapter: Curse of the Blood Elves, there is a secret level that could be accessed to unlock Blizzard's version of a Tower Defense. In the course of unlocking, many sheep are involved, which brought up the 'Secret Sheep level', a reference to the Secret Cow Level.
- In Matthew Reilly's novel, The Six Sacred Stones, a pair of twins (who aid the main characters) frequently sport shirts that say "I have seen the Cow level!" and subsequently "There is no cow level!"
|Surface||Blood Moor • Cold Plains • Burial Grounds • Stony Field • Tristram • Dark Wood • Black Marsh • Tamoe Highland • Monastery Gate • Outer Cloister • Barracks • Inner Cloister • Cathedral • Secret Cow Level|
|Dungeons||Den of Evil • Cave • Crypt • Mausoleum • Underground Passage • Forgotten Tower • Hole • Pit • Jail • Catacombs|