Gheed (Diablo II)
Gheed is a character located in the Rogue Encampment. He sells items and provides gambling. He's greedy, cynical, and a coward. The Rogues apparently have no love for him (in the words of Kashya: "Gheed is a pig. I was tempted to throw him out of the camp many times."), with Charsi as the only exception who, as Kashya claims, takes comfort in Gheed, and the only reason she didn't carry out her threat. In the beginning of Act I Gheed says he keeps Charsi's prices low by filling her head with stories of adventurers and he is secretly raking in all the cash. In Diablo II: Lord of Destruction, a unique grand charm titled Gheed's Fortune derives its name from the NPC. It adds to the player's percent chance of finding magical items, increased gold drops, and reduced vendor prices.
Gheed also seems very wary of the Necromancer who shows up at the camp, and it is assumed that Gheed fears him.
At one point, he also says he is going with Warriv's caravan to Lut Gholein, but does not appear there in Act II. He stays at the Rogue Camp, and if the player returns from a later Act, he would complain that he is unable to sell anything since the rogues started moving back into the monastery.
- 1 Dialogue
- 1.1 General
- 1.2 Quests
- 2 Trivia
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
General[edit | edit source]
Greetings[edit | edit source]
- "Good day."
- "Good evening."
- "Good morning."
- "Let's deal, my friend."
- "May I help you?"
- "I need your help."
- "What'cha need?"
- "Good to see you again. Since the Rogues have been moving back into their monastery, they haven't been buying anything from me!"
Introduction[edit | edit source]
- "Good day to you partner! I'm Gheed and I can already tell that I'll be your best friend in this forsaken camp. A spare weapon, some gold, a small gem is all I want in exchange for the equipment you'll need on whatever quests you might undertake. Now, now, now... Don't be shy, all of my items are guaranteed for life and come with a two-day warranty!"
Introduction (Necromancer)[edit | edit source]
- "A Necromancer! I hoped I'd never have to lay my eyes on one of your kind again. ... The recent troubles in this area have brought out all kinds, I see. Nevertheless, your money's good... A spare weapon, some gold, a small gem is all I want in exchange for the equipment you'll need on whatever quests you might undertake! Now, now, now... Don't be shy, all of my items are guaranteed for life and come with a two-day warranty!"
Gossip[edit | edit source]
- "That old coot, Cain, is as crazy as a wet Quill Rat. I hear he survived whatever happened in Tristram. Personally, I wouldn't trust a thing he has to say."
- "Akara and Kashya are Sisters in the Order of the Sightless Eye, but they are worlds apart. Akara is a slow river of magic, and Kashya, a viper of war. They're both deeply devoted to their religious order, yet the corruption of their Sisters pains them both to no end."
- "Charsi is a fine girl..., but she has no business savvy! I know she means well, but the prices she charges for weapons and armor will never earn her a profit. As long as I keep filling her mind with stories of adventure, she'll never catch on to the fact that I'm raking in gold hand over fist!"
- "Warriv was kind enough to let me travel with his caravan, but don't let him drag you into a search for a new Eastern trade route. I'm making a fortune right here... from the Rogues, of course! You, on the other hand, always get my best prices!"
- "Andariel's demonic forces have taken up residence in the forests as well as the Monastery. Uh-uh. I won't be venturing out of the camp. So, if you need anything, I'll be right here."
- "When - or if - I get to Lut Gholein, I'm going to find the largest bowl of Narlant weed and smoke 'til all earthly sense has left my body."
Gossip (Necromancer)[edit | edit source]
- "Don't think you can fool me, Necromancer. I've seen what your kind can do. If you're involved in any of the evil out there, I don't even want to know. Trade quickly and be about your business!"
Gossip (About Gheed)[edit | edit source]
- "To be honest, I have done my best to stay clear of Gheed. He wears dishonesty about himself like a cloak and seeks only to better his situation by preying on the misfortunes of others."
- "Oh, I like Gheed. He's very funny. He has all sorts of interesting stories from the places he's been. I wish I could see the sights he has."
- "Gheed is a pig. I've been tempted to throw him out of the camp many times, but Charsi seems to think that he's good company. I don't trust the man, but if she's comforted by him, then I'll desist."
- "Gheed is a wandering merchant of questionable character who is traveling along with my caravan to the East. He will buy and sell most anything. He's greedy, but his wares are beyond reproach. I would suggest keeping both eyes open when you deal with him."
Quests[edit | edit source]
- "You're a brave soul! I'd sooner thrust my sacred scepter into the foulest, carbuncular trull than set one boot into that cave."
- "Demons still befouling that cave, huh? I think you might need a new weapon."
- "The only good demon is a dead one, I say. By the way, did you happen to find anything in that cave you'd like to sell?"
- "I'm sorry...The undead are bad for trade. I have a strict no-return policy."
- "I wonder if that old gossip, Melra, is among the undead? Oh, she had dirt on everybody."
- "Some of those gals weren't so nice the first time around."
- "I would sooner micturate in a tankard of my own ale than journey to Tristram!"
- "Barking up the wrong tree, huh? You'll find it, just keep looking."
After finding the Scroll of Inifuss:
- "Look, friend...I trade a lot of strange items, but I'm not going to start dealing in bark. Okay?"
After Entering Tristram:
- "I'm told that Tristram now resembles a mead hall...after a Barbarian wedding! I will wait here for your most glorious return."
- "Ah, Cain is here...another customer. I haven't been this pleased since a love-starved maiden let down a bit more than her hair."
- "The only wealth you're likely to find there is a wealth of vermin."
- "Guess what! I've named a boil on my ass after you. It, too, bothers me every time I sit down."
- "Warriv's advice is like corpse gas; it befouls the air for a moment and then it disappears."
- "Charsi talks of nothing anymore, but this Horadric Malus. Between you and her my ears need a rest. Just find it and bring it back quickly."
- "I have heard that you bear us no Malus."
- "I guess it's too late to take back some of the names I called you."
- "You're going after Andariel? ...One of my wagon wheels is in need of repair. I'll be under the wagon, if I'm needed."
- "Have you stumbled upon that Demon Queen, yet? I hear she's quite the beauty...as far as Maidens of Anguish go, that is."
- "I'm going to party like it's 999!"
Trivia[edit | edit source]
This section contains facts and trivia relevant to this article
- Gheed along with a few other NPC's including Atma, Tyrael, Natalya Ormus, has an item named after him, the aforementioned Gheed's Fortune Grand Charm.
- Gheed's daugher, Kadala, liker her father, provides gambling services in Adventure Mode of Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls. Kadala also mentions that Gheed has lost his fortune by the events of Diablo 3.
|Diablo II NPCs|
|Act I||Akara • Charsi • Deckard Cain • Flavie • Gheed • Kashya • Warriv|
|Act II||Atma • Deckard Cain • Drognan • Elzix • Fara • Geglash • Greiz • Jerhyn • Kaelan • Lysander • Meshif • Tyrael • Warriv|
|Act III||Alkor • Asheara • Deckard Cain • Hratli • Meshif • Natalya • Ormus • Dark Wanderer|
|Act IV||Deckard Cain • Hadriel • Halbu • Izual • Jamella • Tyrael|
|Act V||Anya • Deckard Cain • Larzuk • Malah • Nihlathak • Qual-Kehk • Tyrael|