Is it time for this wiki to cross over to Fandom? Please join the discussion.
Farnham (Diablo I)
Farnham the Drunk is a character in Diablo I. He is found in Tristram, but doesn't technically provide any kind of service or quest to the player character. He appears at first to be little more than comic relief, but as the game progress his character is revealed to have a darker, more tragic nature: he has become an alcoholic after his experiences in the labyrinth beneath the old monastery nearby. Sometimes his apparently incoherent ramblings may in fact provide players with some insight into what they might encounter in the labyrinth.
Farnham was part of the search party led by Archbishop Lazarus into the labyrinth. He managed to escape the ensuing massacre, but his memories still haunt him. His favorite pastime is drinking, and his advice may seem not as useful as that of Griswold, Ogden, or Deckard Cain. He was presumably killed when Tristram was overrun by hellspawn, as a body is found where he stood, when the player goes to Tristram to rescue Deckard Cain in Diablo II.
- 1 Dialogue
- 1.1 Gossip
- 1.2 Gossip (About Farnham)
- 1.3 Quests
- 2 Trivia
- Can't a fella drink in peace?
- I wanna tell ya something, `cause I know all `bout this stuff. It's my specialty! This here is the best! Theee best! That other ale ain' no good since those stupid dogs.
- No one ever lis... listens to me. Somewhere, I ain 't too sure, but somewhere under the church - a whole pile `o dough!. Gleamin' and shinin', just waitin' for someone to get it.
- I know you got your ideas, and I know you'r not gonna believe this, but that weapon you got there? It just ain't no good against those big brutes. Oh, I don't care what Griswold says, they can't make anything like they used to `n the old days.
- If I was you - and I ain't, but if I was - I'd sell all that stuff you got, and get out of here. That boy out there, he's always got somethin good, but you gotta give him some gold , or he won 't even show you what he's got.
- The gal who brings the drinks? Oh, yeah. what a pretty lady. So nice, too!
- Why don't that old crone do something for a change? Sure, sure, she's got stuff, but you listen to me - she's unnatural! She doesn't eat or drink, and you can't trust somebody that desn't drink at least a little.
- Cain isn't what he says he is. Sure, sure, he talks a good story - some of `hm are real scary, or funny - but he knows more than he knows he knows.
- Griswold? Good ol' Griswold! I love him like a brother. We fought together, you know, back when we. Lazarus Lazarus Lazaruuuus!
- I like Pepin. He really tries, you know? Listen here, you should make sure you get to know him. Good fella like him, with people always wantin ' help. Hey, I guess that'd be kinda like you are, hero. I was a hero too, ya know.
- Wirt is a kid with more problems'n even me, and I know all about problems! Listen here, that kid got sweet deal, but he's been there, you know. Lost a leg. Gotta walk around on a piece of wood. So sad, so sad.
- Odgen is the best man in town! I don't think his wife likes me much, but as long as she keeps tapping kegs, I' like her just fine. Seems like I've been spending more time with Odgen, you know, but he's so good to me.
Gossip (About Farnham)
- The higher you place your faith in one man, the farther it has to fall. Farnham has lost his soul, but not to any demon. It was lost when he saw his fellow townspeople betrayed by the Archbishop Lazarus. He has knowledge to be gleaned, but you must separate fact from fantasy.
- Poor Farnham. He is a disquieting reminder of the doomed assembly that entered into the Cathedral with Lazarus on that dark day. He escaped with his life, but his courage and much of his sanity were left in some dark pit. He finds comfort only at the bottom of his tankard nowadays, but there are occasional bits of truth buried within his constant ramblings.
- Farnham is a drunkard who fills his belly with ale and everyone else's ears with nonsense. I know that both Pepin and Ogden feel sympathy for him, but I get so frustrated watching him slip farther and farther into a befuddled stupor every night.
- I was with Farnham that night that Lazarus led us into Labyrinth. I never saw the Archbishop again, and I may not have survived if Farnham was not at my side. I fear that the attack left his soul as crippled as, well, another did my leg. I cannot fight this battle for him now, but I would if I could.
- Farnham spends far too much time here, drowning his sorrows in cheap ale. I would make him leave, but he did suffer so during his time in the Labyrinth.
- Even my skills have been unable to fully heal Farnham. Oh, I have been able to mend his body, but his mind and spirit are beyond anything I can do.
- Don't trust everything the drunk says. Too many ales have fogged his vision and his good sense.
- Farnham - now there is a man with serious problems, and I know all about how serious problems can be. He trusted too much in the integrity of one man, and Lazarus led him into the very jaws of death. Oh, I know what it's like down there, so don't even start telling me about your plans to destroy the evil that dwells in that Labyrinth. Just watch your legs...
- Big! Big cleaver killing all my friends. Couldn't stop him, had to run away, couldn't save them. Trapped in a room with so many bodies... so many friends... NOOOOOOOOOO!
Poisoned Water Supply
- You drink water?
The Curse of King Leoric
- I don't care about that. Listen, no skeleton is gonna be MY king. Leoric is King. King, so you hear me? HAIL TO THE KING!
- You know what I think? Somebody took that sign, and they gonna want lots of money for it. If I was Ogden... and I'm not, but if I was... I'd just buy a new sign with some pretty drawing on it. Maybe a nice mug of ale or a piece of cheese...
The Magic Rock
- I used to have a nice ring; it was a really expensive one, with blue and green and red and silver. Don't remember what happened to it, though. I really miss that ring...
The Chamber of Bone
- Okay, so listen. There's this chamber of wood, see. And his wife, you know - her - tells the tree... cause you gotta wait. Then I says, that might work against him, but if you think I'm gonna PAY for this... you... uh... yeah.
Halls of the Blind
- Look here... that's pretty funny, huh? Get it? Blind - look here?
- Ogden mixes a MEAN black mushroom, but I get sick if I drink that. Listen, listen... here's the secret - moderation is the key!
The Anvil of Fury
- Griswold can't sell his anvil. What will he do then? And I'd be angry too if someone took my anvil!
Warlord of Blood
- Always you gotta talk about Blood? What about flowers, and sunshine, and that pretty girl that brings the drinks. Listen here, friend - you're obsessive, you know that?
- Lachdanan is dead. Everybody knows that, and you can't fool me into thinking any other way. You can't talk to the dead. I know!
- They stab, then bite, then they're all around you. Liar! LIAR! They're all dead! Dead! Do you hear me? They just keep falling and falling... their blood spilling out all over the floor... all his fault...
This section contains facts and trivia relevant to this article
- On the Starcraft Mission "Patriot's Blood" a computer access code is Farnham, in honor(or in joke's purpose) to the drunkard.
|Diablo I NPCs|
|Diablo I||Adria • Deckard Cain • Farnham • Gillian • Griswold • Kael Rills • Ogden • Pepin • Wirt|
|Hellfire||Celia • Complete Nut • Lester|