Bots are user accounts often used by automated, user run scripts which are used primarily to accomplish repetitive tasks. Membership in this group automatically hides their edits on the Recent changes page default view. They can be displayed by clicking on "Show bots".
- Be treated as an automated process
- Edit pages protected as "Allow only autoconfirmed users"
- Have one's own edits automatically marked as patrolled
- Not be affected by IP-based rate limits
- Not create redirects from source pages when moving pages
- Not have minor edits to discussion pages trigger the new messages prompt
- Use higher limits in API queries
- Use of the write API