D2 downgrade guide
There are many different Mods available for Diablo II. While installing one of these might often be simple enough, removing the same mod or installing a new mod often causes problems. This is because most mods change many of the already existing game files, and they are often made for different patch versions of Diablo II as well. Many players however wish to have one or more mods installed at the same time, as well as a regular, or "vanilla", installation of Diablo II intact so that they can play on Battle.net. This guide aims to explain how to do that.
Many popular mods for Diablo II require different patch versions to run properly. Below is an incomplete list of mods and what patches they work with.
- Back to Hellfire: Patch 1.10.
- Battle for Elements: Patch 1.10.
- Eastern Sun: Patch 1.10. Might work with Patch 1.11 as well, but it is recommended to run on 1.10.
- Median XL: Patch 1.10, Patch 1.11, Patch 1.12 or Patch 1.13.
- Zy-El: Patch 1.09d.
In order to run a mod, Diablo II needs to be patched correctly, or the mod will most likely not start at all.
- Physical CD for Diablo II: Lord of Destruction. Remember, the No-CD patch is only included in Patch 1.12 and above.
- D.exe (1.07)
- Game.exe (1.07)
How to do it
- First get the 2 executable files you need and the specific upgrader that you need.
- Second, make sure you clear the destination folder of all d2 dlls and d2 exe files
- Third make sure its free of any 3rd party programs including plugy
- Finally run the upgrader and enjoy it