Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Baal (Diablo II)
Baal is the Lord of Destruction and the final act boss in Diablo II: Lord of Destruction. He is found in the Throne of Destruction deep within Mount Arreat. The player catches up with him just as he is about to enter The Worldstone Chamber, and Baal summons five waves of monsters to stop the player. Once the room is clear of monsters, Baal will enter the Worldstone Chamber.
Baal was voiced by Milton James both in the game and in the cinematic.
The fight against Baal really starts against his five waves of minions that have to be removed in order to reach Baal himself. Each wave showcases monsters from each of the acts in the game. The waves are, in order:
- Colenzo the Annihilator, a Warped Shaman with several Warped One minions. This fight is easy and works like any encounter with Fallen Shamans.
- Achmel the Cursed, an Unraveler who comes with several minion Unravelers and a host of Burning Dead Cold Mages. The mages will be constantly revived by the Unravelers if possible, and Achmel himself has a potent poison aura that poisons any character that gets close to him.
- Bartuc the Bloody, a Council Member who spawns with several minions. He is always Lightning Enchanted, but the Council Members run around erratically at times and tend not to focus on the player.
- Ventar the Unholy, a Venom Lord. Similar to the Infector of Souls that guards Diablo, Ventar is much easier and does not deal as much damage as the Infecor, possibly due to the gear and level increases the player gathers during Act V. He and his minions are Extra Fast however and can still surround the player with Inferno attacks unless care is taken.
- Lister the Tormentor, a special monster for this event, he and his minions are by far the most dangerous of the encounters. They deal a lot of damage, have a knockback attack, and Lister has a Spectral Hit as well.
In many cases, players may feel that Lister is in fact harder to deal with than Baal himself. In those cases, the monsters can simply be led away from Baal's presence. He does not actually check whether his minions are alive or not, but only whether they are still near him. So if they are lured away a sufficient distance, Baal will enter the Worldstone Chamber and the player can follow.
Baal himself has a slew of attacks that he throws at the player, and most of them unique to him.
- Incineration Nova: Similar to Diablo's nova but with different graphics, this extends a nova from Baal across virtually the entire room.
- Hoarfrost: A large v-shaped wave of cold shot towards the player. It will travel until the edge of the screen and will take the player with it in the process, dealing damage several times and stunlocking as well. Travels through pillars and props but not the pit surround the Worldstone.
- Mana Rift: Essentially a mana burn effect, this removed 50% of the player's current mana. Works like Inferno.
- Vile Effigy: Creates an exact clone of Baal. The clone can deal damage and will start with the same amount of health as the real Baal. He does take increased damage from attacks however and will go down faster.
- Festering Appendage: Summons tentacles from the ground that strike at the player. They don't deal a whole lot of damage, but they can cause stunlocks if the player remains in range. Have fairly low health.
In addition to this, Baal also has several abilities shared with other characters.
- Teleport, similar to the Sorceress skill.
- Decrepify, similar to the Necromancer curse.
- Defense Curse, the Stygian Fury and Succubus curse that reduces the players defense by 60/75/95% depending on difficulty. Will only be cast on players with more max health than max mana.
- Blood Mana, the Stygian Fury and Succubus curse that causes spells to use health instead of mana. Will only be cast on players with more max mana than max health.
Baal has a lot of life and can pack a punch, but he lacks the powerful singlehit skill that Diablo has in his Red Hose Lightning. While Hoarfrost is damaging, it also knocks the player away from Baal himself, putting the player at a safer distance.
|Difficulty||Health||Resistances||Drain Effectiveness||Locations (Monster Level)||Highest Rune Drop|
||Normal||26,484||33||33||33||0||0||50||100%||The Worldstone Chamber (60)||Io (16)|
||Nightmare||117,596||50||50||50||0||0||50||50%||The Worldstone Chamber (75)||Vex (26)|
||Hell||493,701||50||50||50||0||50||50||20%||The Worldstone Chamber (99)||Zod (33)|
|Hell||650,000-660,000||185||115||75||75||50||75||20%||Chaos Tristram (110)|
|Prime Evils||Baal • Diablo • Mephisto|
|Lesser Evils||Andariel • Azmodan • Belial • Duriel|
|Notable Demons||Assur • Astrogha • Gulag • Thonos • Kabraxis • Lilith • Lucion • Xazax • Grimspike|