Shrines (Diablo I)
Throughout Diablo you will come across a large number of magic shrines. Clicking on one of these shrines reveals a cryptic message and provides some sort of effect to the gameplay. All shrines have an effect (though it is not always to your benefit). In the Cathedral and Catacombs, the names of the Shrines are often visible before activation, and so the player can easily check what it does beforehand. In the later levels however, only Cauldrons and Goat Shrines appear. These act as shrines, but it's impossible to tell what they'll do prior to activation. In multiplayer Diablo, it is ultimately better to just ignore the Goat Shrines/Cauldrons, as the risks of damaging your mana pool permanently alone makes ANY positive outcome from either unworthy. Single player heroes should be saved before touching them, and the player can then reload the character if the shrine effect was not useful
- Abandoned, Creepy, Cryptic, Divine, Eerie, Eldritch, Glimmering, Magical, Quiet, Religious, Secluded, Spiritual, Spooky, Stone, Thaumatirgic and Weird Shrines.
Potentially Beneficial Shrines
- Enchanted Shrine. While it subtracts one spell level, it adds one level to all others. If a player has a lot of spells, these are essentially free spell books. The lost spell level can of course be regained later. If bad luck strikes, a high level spell is picked however. Warriors and Rogues will especially benefit from this shrine, as there is no other legitimate way to increase some spells' levels to 15, even with the best book reading equipment.
- Hidden Shrine. The potential is interesting, but the reduction can happen to a unique item. Also note that this effect is permanent across saves, unlike the Gloomy and Weird shrines.
- Holy. Doesn't really do anything, but could potentially put the player in a mob of monsters.
- Mysterious. +5 to a random stat may be worth the -1 to all others, depending on the stat in question. If the stat, however, is maxed, or was 2 points away from maxing out. then the shrine is negative overall
- Fascinating, Ornate and Sacred Shrines. While they technically are just tradeoffs, it is never adviseable to sacrifice 10% mana for 2 spell levels especially not for first level spells.
- Tainted Shrines. While Tainted Shrines provide nothing for the user, the other players on his/her level WILL suffer overall from - stat points, even with +1 to a random stat.
|Abandoned Shrine||Adds 2 to dexterity.||The hands of men may be guided by fate|
|Creepy Shrine||Adds 2 to strength.||Strength is bolstered by heavenly faith|
|Cryptic Shrine||Fully restores mana and casts Nova from the player.||Arcane power brings destruction|
|Divine Shrine|| Restores health and mana.
Cathedral 1-3: Drops one Potion of Full Health and 1 Potion of Full Mana.
All other levels: Drops 2 Potion of Full Rejuvenation.
|Drink and be refreshed|
|Eerie Shrine||Permanently adds 2 points to magic.||Knowledge and wisdom come at the cost of self|
|Eldritch Shrine||Potions become rejuvenation potions. Full healing potions become full rejuvenation potions.||Crimson and azure become as the sun|
|Enchanted Shrine*||One spell goes down one level, all other spells go up one level. If the chosen spell is lvl 15 it will go down two levels.||Magic is not always what it seems to be|
|Fascinating Shrine||Adds 2 spell levels to Fire Bolt, but you lose 10% of your maximum mana.||Intensity comes at the cost of wisdom|
|Glimmering Shrine||All items in the player's inventory are identified.||Mysteries revealed in the light of reason|
|Gloomy Shrine*||Adds 2 defense to all shields, helms and armor in inventory and equipped. -1 to all weapons maximum damage.||Those who defend seldom attack|
|Hidden Shrine||Adds 10 points to the maximum and current durability of all items. One receives a permanent -10 durability.||New strength is forged through destruction|
|Holy Shrine||Casts Phasing on the player.||Wherever you go, there you are|
|Magical Shrine||Casts Mana Shield on the player.||While the spirit is vigilant the body thrives|
|Mysterious Shrine||Adds 5 points to one random stat, and takes 1 point from the other three.||Some are weakened as one grows strong|
|Ornate Shrine||Adds 2 spell levels to Holy Bolt, but you lose 10% of your maximum mana.||Salvation comes at the cost of wisdom|
|Quiet Shrine||Adds 2 to vitality.||The essence of life flows from within|
|Religious Shrine||Restores all weapon's durability to their maximum.||Time cannot diminish the power of steel|
|Sacred Shrine||Adds 2 spell levels to Charged Bolt, but you lose 10% of your maximum mana.||Energy comes at the cost of wisdom|
|Secluded Shrine||Completes map for current level.||The way is made clear when viewed from above|
|Spiritual Shrine||Fills your remaining inventory with random amounts of gold.||Riches abound when least expected|
|Spooky Shrine*||User is unaffected, but for other players, they receive a restoration effect on their hp and mana pool equal to a level up or a Full Rejuvenation Potion.|| You: Where avarice falls, patience gains it's own reward|
Others: Blessed by a benevolent companion
|Stone Shrine||Recharges all Staves in the player's inventory.||The power of mana refocused renews|
|Tainted Shrine*|| User is unaffected, but if there are any other players on the dlvl of the shrine. they get +1 to a random stat at the cost of -1 to all other stats.
|| You: Those who are last may yet be first|
Others: Generosity brings it's own rewards
|Thaumaturgic Shrine*||All chests on the level close and can be searched again.||What once was open now is closed|
|Weird Shrine*||Adds 1 to all weapons maximum damage. Effects is temporary until a new game is started.||The sword of justice is swift and sharp|
* Enchanted: Never appears in the Caves or Hell.
* Gloomy: Effect only lasts until a new game is started. Singleplayer only.
* Spooky: Multiplayer only.
* Tainted: Multiplayer only.
* Thaumatirgic: Singleplayer only.
* Weird: Effect only lasts until a new game is started. Singleplayer only.